Batas waktu: –
Syarat: Journalists who are citizens of Muslim-majority countries.
Awards: The fellowship program begins in March with a two-week orientation seminar in Washington, DC designed to prepare the fellows – both personally and professionally – for the challenges of living and working in the United States…..
THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
In the conviction that a strong, free press is essential to the healthy functioning of a democracy, the late Alfred Friendly, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter and former managing editor of The Washington Post, conceived a fellowship program that would both impart American journalistic traditions and respond to worldwide interest in the dissemination of fair and accurate news. It was Alfred Friendly’s belief that working side by side with reporters and editors is the best way to absorb the practical realities of journalism in this country and the instrumental role it plays in our society. Therefore, he created the program that bears his name to immerse journalists in American newsrooms. Since 1984 the Alfred Friendly Press Partners has trained nearly 300 journalists from 78 countries.
Sharing the same goals, the Daniel Pearl Foundation partnered with Press Partners in 2003 to offer special fellowships to honor the life and work of journalist Daniel Pearl, The Wall Street Journal South Asia bureau chief who was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan in 2002. Daniel Pearl Fellows – nine from Pakistan, three from Egypt and one from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Nepal, Turkey and Yemen – have worked at The Berkshire Eagle/North Adams Transcript, Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, ProPublica, San Francisco Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, Huffington Post (DC bureau), and The Wall Street Journal (Atlanta, New York and DC bureaus).
The fellowship program begins in March with a two-week orientation seminar in Washington, DC designed to prepare the fellows – both personally and professionally – for the challenges of living and working in the United States. At the middle of the program, fellows and staff come together for a week to attend seminars focused on writing, editing, multimedia reporting and investigative reporting/Computer Assisted Reporting. A final seminar in Washington reunites the fellows and allows them to compare and evaluate their experiences and discuss their impressions of the American media. Fellows return to their home countries in early September to begin sharing their knowledge and skills with colleagues, editors and publishers in their home newsrooms.
The fellowship covers all costs of program-related international and domestic U.S. travel, health insurance and provides a monthly stipend to cover basic living expenses. It is highly recommended that fellows bring additional money with them. While family members may visit, they cannot accompany the fellow for the duration of the fellowship.
- To provide the fellow with experience in reporting, writing, editing, and editorial decision-making that will enhance future professional performance;
- To expose the fellow to the technological changes that are occurring in the industry;
- To enable the fellow to gain a practical understanding of the function and significance of the free press in American society;
- To transfer knowledge gained on the program to colleagues at home;
- To foster continuing ties between free press institutions and journalists in the United States and their counterparts in other countries.
CRITERIA OF ELIGIBILITY
- Journalists who are citizens of Muslim-majority countries;
- Current full-time employment as a journalist for the news or editorial departments of independent newspapers, magazines, wire services, or online publications of general public interest;
- At least three years of full-time professional experience as a journalist;
- Early to mid-career status and between 25 and 35 years old;
- A demonstrated personal commitment to a career in journalism;
- Ability and desire to share what is learned on the fellowship with other journalists at home;
- Endorsement from the management of the home news organization;
- An excellent command of both written and spoken English as all activities are conducted in English.
Re-applicants: Please contact us at info[at]presspartners.org to request an application.
Informasi lebih lanjut:
klik disini untuk website penyelenggara.